Be your own best advocate with a legal coach.
The term pro se is Latin for “in one own’s behalf.” It is the legal term for someone who is representing themself in court. Pro se coaching allows you to represent yourself with the benefit of having a lawyer on call to answer questions and give you legal advice whenever you need it. It is a way of maintaining complete control over your legal situation while still getting the benefit of an experienced lawyer by your side.
How does the pro se coaching program work?
At The Lien Law Firm, our pro se coaching program is a combination of structured and on-demand components. Your membership includes:
- One 60-minute coaching session each calendar month
- An online portal filled with resources that our lawyer uses when she represents clients in court
- Quick emails and text messages whenever you have a question
Additional coaching sessions may be booked on-demand at a special rate reserved for members of the coaching program.
What can we do at a coaching session?
The short answer is: anything you want to do!
We can spend your coaching session preparing for a hearing, developing strategy, or doing paperwork. The point of coaching is to make sure you have all the information and answers you need, so each session is guided by what you need at the time.
Do I qualify for Pro Se Coaching at The Lien Law Firm?
You may qualify for coaching if you have a family court case in St. Louis County, Missouri. Cases in other jurisdictions around the Greater St. Louis area may be considered based on program availability. Legal coaching is not available outside the State of Missouri.
Is pro se coaching right for me?
Coaching may be right for you if any of the following apply:
- You are confident representing yourself but need someone knowledgeable to help you prepare
- Your case is relatively short and/or simple
- You want truly individualized legal help on your own terms
- You cannot afford traditional legal representation, or need some help while you save up a retainer
Clients like coaching because:
- There are no retainers or billable hours
- They maintain complete control over how their case is handled
- A lawyer is available when they need one, but do not pay for any background work (emails, phone calls, etc.)
- They feel empowered when representing themselves in court
- They get the unique attention they need exactly when they need it
Can I work with a legal coach if my case is closed?
Yes! If you anticipate going back to court in the future, then working with a legal coach regularly can help you keep the best evidence along the way. We recommend coaching for clients who have high-conflict relationships with a co-parent and/or complicated court orders that they are responsible for implementing. Clients can do pro se coaching in between court cases even if they choose not to represent themselves in court when a case is actually filed.
Fees & Financing
Membership in the pro se coaching program is $197 per month. Coaching requires clients to be able to make payments electronically using a credit or debit card. Coaching is not available for clients utilizing legal insurance or employee assistance programs (EAPs).
To apply for a pro se coaching membership, please do the following:
Step 1: Complete an intake interview to make sure you are a good fit for the program.
Step 2: Once approved, use the button below to make your first payment and set up your membership details.
Still not sure if pro se coaching is right for you?
Our lawyer is happy to talk with you about your case and your options for getting legal help.